Monday, September 30, 2013

Meat Free Monday // Kale and Chickpea Curry

Really enjoyed the Kale & Chickpea curry I made for dinner for me and the fam this evening #meatfreemonday

I never promised that Meat Free Monday would happen every Monday, but sporadically. Anyhow, I heartily enjoyed this kale and chickpea curry I made last week. My friend Jenny who has been rockin' veganism for the past few months recommended it to me. I adapted the original Vegan Society recipe.

Kale is currently is season at the moment, so buy Irish (or local to wherever you are)! You could always throw in some forgotten vegetables you have in the fridge, end of season courgettes would work well as they can be quite bland and would really benefit from the rich flavours of this curry (I'm so in love with the cardamon in this). As always this is a very economical dish to make.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
2 medium onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, diced
2 tins plum tomatoes
2 tins chickpeas
150ml vegetable stock
Pinch sea salt
200g kale
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
6-8 cardamon seeds

Method:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the sliced onion until golden. Add the garlic, pepper (optional) and spices (except for the cardamon) and stir every now and again while cooking for about 1 minute.

- Add tomatoes, drained chickpeas, kale and cardamon seeds. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes until the kale has softened to your liking.

- Season to taste. Serve with rice, or naan bread.

- Should serve 4 people, generously, with enough leftover for lunch the next day!

The addition of cardamon really makes this dish special, and would keep for up to 3 days in the fridge for leftovers, I wouldn't recommend freezing as the kale would loose its texture.

You can view my other meat free monday recipes here.

Get involved in the #meatfreemonday campaign!



1 comment:

  1. Yes your are wright and thanks for post a good topic . your post is

    top most in related post of Meat Free Monday // Kale and Chickpea Curry.

    ReplyDelete