Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Gunne Girl

My love affair with the indomitable prairie dress goes back many years. Yet it's not an item of clothing I've ever worn myself, I don't feel I'm brave or bohemian enough. Do you ever admire a look (1970s prairie girl in this case) but know you'll never wear it because if you bought it, it wouldn't mix with the rest of your wardrobe and it would be out of your clothing comfort zone? That's how I feel about these beautiful things. It's just not practical for me wearing a long flowing dress, whilst toting an uncomfortable and ugly backpack on my way to college. Clothing like this is wasted in a library. It speaks to me of days spent lying in the sun, being young and care-free.

Enough of these excuses! When the weather gets warmer I'm going to have a go at this, because at Christmas I received a delightful package from the beautiful Khrystyna containing a delightful Gunne dress, with an exciting, wench-like lace up bodice! Watch this space.

I've wanted to write about Gunne dresses for a while. I own one Gunne Sax skirt and now a dress in my 'collection'. There's so many things I want to say about these beautiful, iconic gowns! I feel like theres a wealth of influences that I couldn't possibly cover in one post, so consider this the first of many.

Here I am going to highlight my Gunne inspiration, a girl who truly embodies the Gunne spirit. Khrystyna of Food, Flora and Felines !

Khrystyna lives in Cork with her boyfriend in their curiosity shop of an apartment and often wanders out into the countryside/wilderness much like the heroine of a Laura Ingalls book.









Isn't she a dream?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I had no idea about this post until now! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete