Monday, April 1, 2013

Meat Free Monday / Nigella's South Indian Vegetable Curry

This is from a Nigella Lawson recipe, I spend too much time watching daytime tv these days (someone hire me ... soon!) and I saw this on a repeat of Nigella Kitchen on the Food Network UK.



This recipe is useful for when you pick up reduced vegetables in your supermarket, it makes for a good shared meal. I omitted some of the ingredients, as I didn't have them and they were expensive to purchase, or I just plain forgot! I used frozen cauliflower as it was cheaper, and it was just fine.

I have put into brackets what I omitted, and I just doubled the quantities of the mange tout and baby corn, according to what I had at the time.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
Pinch sea salt
1 green chili seeded and finely chopped
3/4-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 can coconut milk
600ml vegetable stock
1 teaspoon sugar
(1 tablespoon tamarind paste)
(300g broccoli, broken into florets)
300g Cauliflower, separated into florets
125g Baby Corn, halved
150g Mange Tout (or sugar snap peas)

Method:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the sliced onion and garlic, sprinkled with the salt flakes until it softens. Add the green chili and ginger strips and stir every now and again while cooking for about 1 minute.

- Add the chili flakes, turmeric, ground cumin, and ginger. Stir well and cook for another minute or so, before adding the coconut milk, stock, sugar and tamarind paste (if you have it). Stir to combine.

- Bring the sauce to the boil. Add the cauliflower (and broccoli) florets and cook for about 10 minutes. Then add the baby corn and cook for a further 3 minutes. Cook until vegetables are tender (about 5-10 min), then add the mange tout, and ground coriander, and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.

- Season to taste, sprinkle with the fresh coriander. Serve with rice, or naan bread.

- Should serve 4 people, generously.

I believe this freezes well, keeps for 3 days in the fridge for leftovers!

Get involved in the #meatfreemonday campaign!


1 comment: